The following text has been edited from the Wikipedia.org page on Cohen, as well as Cohen’s official website.
Leonard Cohen is a Canadian singer-songwriter, musician, poet and novelist. His work often deals with the exploration of religion, isolation, justice, psychological depression, sexuality, and complex interpersonal relationships, in a dark and poetic framework due to his literary background. His songs and writing have set a virtually unmatched standard in their seriousness and range, having relentlessly examined the largest issues in human lives, always with a full appreciation of how elusive answers can be to the vexing questions he raises. But those questions, and the journey he has traveled in seeking to address them, are the ever-shifting substance of his work, as well as the reasons why his songs never lose their overwhelming emotional force. In 1996, Cohen was ordained as a Rinzai Zen Buddhist monk and took the Dharma name Jikhan, meaning ‘silence’.
- All encompassing:
- Official website
- The Leonard Cohen Files : incredibly thorough factfile and analysis of Cohen’s work
- A Thousand Kisses Deep : Croation fansite
- Speaking Cohen : Learn to speak the language of Leonard Cohen
- Diamonds In The Lines : Cohen in his own live words
- Diamonds In The Mine : Celebrating Cohen’s film and television recordings
- Further information: